From October through March, a Heal provider can administer flu shots at your location and on your schedule. Influenza, or the flu, is a contagious, viral respiratory infection that mainly affects the upper respiratory tract but in some cases can also affect the lower respiratory tract. Although most people infected with the flu experience mild to moderate symptoms, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, serious outcomes of flu infection are more common among certain groups of people including:
- Young children under the age of 5
- The elderly, those age 65 and above
- Pregnant and recently postpartum women
- Individuals with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher
- Individuals with Native American ancestry
- Individuals with certain chronic health conditions including
- Heart disease
- Chronic lung disease
- Blood, liver, and kidney disorders
- Those who have compromised immune systems
There are preventive measures you can take to avoid contracting the flu including washing your hands regularly and avoiding sharing food with potentially infected people, but the most effective method of prevention is the flu shot.
The CDC recommends that all people ages six months and older get a flu shot annually. Flu shots are provided for adults and children ages 6 months and up from October through February.
The influenza vaccine is a safe, effective method of prevention against the flu. Flu shot safety and efficacy is closely monitored by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). According to the CDC, the flu shot cannot cause the flu because it contains either viruses which have been ‘inactivated’ (killed) or no viruses at all.
Flu shots are available in all Heal house call service areas, except Washington State, New Jersey and Sacramento, until March 30, 2021.
Flu shots for you or your family members can be added to any Sick/Injured, Annual Physical, or Well-Child home visit. We do not offer house calls just for flu shots.
How to Book:
- Step 1: Use the Heal app or website to book a Sick/Injured, Annual Physical or a Well-Child home visit appointment.
- Step 2: After booking, you’ll be asked if you’d like to book a flu shot for yourself and any additional family members. Even if you book a Well-Child exam or a Sick/Injured exam for your child, their pediatrician will be able administer shots for your entire family, regardless of age.
- Step 3: Follow the guided on-screen prompts to add a flu shot for as many members of your family as necessary. You’ll be able to see clear pricing and coverage before you book, making it simple to plan ahead.
Once you’ve booked your appointment, your Heal provider will administer the vaccine from the comfort of your own home.
What you need to know:
- Flu shots are covered by most insurance, or $45 for uninsured.
- You will have the option to add family member flu shots to your appointment.
- Heal doctors are available 8 am- 8 pm, 7 days a week.